A Way with Words: A Writing Workshop
“Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a blank piece of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.”
― Gene Fowler
For many writers, the act of writing feels like torture. They feel like they have a lot to say but can’t seem to find the right words to say it. Some articles can’t seem to get started and others can’t seem to get finished.
And let’s not get started on the book you’ve always been meaning to write but can’t seem to get down to it.
For the most part, writers don’t struggle with lack of time, but they rely on ineffective writing approaches that make the experience incredibly painful.
The good news is: it doesn’t have to be this way.
It’s possible to write with ease and joy, as long as you follow the right approach to writing.
There’s more to writing than writing, and in this workshop you’ll learn more about the entire writing process, common writing mistakes, ways to improve your writing style, and how you can build your confidence in your writing abilities.
The workshop also covers:
- The psychological inhibitions holding you back, and how to overcome them
- The writing process, and how writing is only a small fraction of it
- Developing your own writing voice
- Removing fluff from your writing, so that it’s clearer and more engaging
- How to use stories, analogies, and examples to enhance your writing (and why storytelling is much easier than you think)
- Grammar basics to avoid compromising your message
- Creating a content platform for yourself to attract readers and customers (and why good writing doesn’t just sell itself)
The workshop will include writing assignments within the workshop and beyond the workshop to ensure you’re applying what you’re learning.
After completing the workshop you’ll find writing a lot easier and more enjoyable. You will be able to create more content to promote your business or personal brand, or to share a message you’re passionate about.
Writing is the foundation of all other forms of communication, whether a script for a video, or a speech, or a podcast. Whatever medium you choose to communicate with your audience, writing will be a part of the picture.
Get a Grip on Grammar
Does grammar make you groan?
Having a strong foundation in grammar empowers you to express yourself with clarity and style. A great message may lose its impact and authority if it’s poorly punctuated, or rife with errors.
In this segment, you’ll learn about:
- The different parts of speech and why they matter
- The types of punctuation and how to use them with ease
- Common writing mistakes and how to identify them
- The basic rules of grammar and when it’s okay to bend them
Who should attend the workshop:
- Anyone with a message to share with the world
- Startup founders who wish to improve their writing and enhance their thinking
- Writers who feel stuck or want to become better writers
When: 5-8 PM, March 18, 19, 25 & 26 (Sundays & Mondays)
Where: Sirdab Lab
How much: KD 80
Price for Sirdab Lab members: KD 72. Members can sign up here.
About the instructors:
- Haider Al-Mosawi is one of the co-founders of Sirdab Lab, a certified educator, and the writer of Sirdab’s newsletter, where he shares life advice and startup tips. With over 15 years of writing, Haider has written for popular blogs and publications such as Zen Habits and Khaleejesque. He’s in charge of Sirdab Lab’s content across all its communication channels, and strongly believes in the power of writing to cultivate positive emotions, creativity, problem-solving, and the spread of ideas.
- Zainab Mirza is a writer who thrives on diverse learning experiences. She is the Community Outreach and Grammar Officer at Sirdab Lab, and a co-founder of The Divan. Her articles have been published in bazaar, Khaleejesque, Fanack Chronicle, Studentalk, and the Eurasia Foundation blog. Zainab has a Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), and an Advanced Diploma in Creative Writing from Symbiosis, India.